Freeway improvements between Maple Grove and Clearwater will take 3 years
JANUARY 11, 2019 – 4:20 PM
It’s not just 35W south of downtown anymore. This summer, your work commute or trip to the cabin could see major interruptions if you use I-94 between Maple Grove and Clearwater.
Preliminary work will start between St. Michael and Albertville in the summer with Monticello and Clearwater to follow in the fall. The 39 mile stretch will take about three years to complete according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Drivers should expect reduced speeds, lane closures and occasional ramp closures. When work begins, crews will be building temporary lanes for traffic.
MNDOT’s goal with the project is to reconstruct this heavily traveled part of the freeway, plus add lanes in the hopes of reducing congestion.
According to MNDOT’s website, here is the project timeline and the areas affected:
Maple Grove to Rogers (2020-2021)
- Widen freeway shoulders to build temporary lanes in 2019
- 9 miles of concrete resurfacing between I-494 interchange and Hwy 101
- Add lane in each direction between Hwy 610 and Hwy 101
- Build noisewall east of Maple Grove Pkwy.
- Dayton Parkway interchange (2020-2021)
- Build interchange
- Build trail and sidewalks
St. Michael to Albertville (2019-2021)
- Reconstruct 6 miles of freeway between Hwy 241 and Wright Co. Rd. 19
- Reconstruct EB and WB I-94 bridges over Wright Co. Rd. 19
- Reconstruct Hwy 241 bridge over I-94, including a new access loop ramp from WB I-94 to SB Hwy 241
- Add lane on EB I-94 between Wright Co. Rd. 19 and Hwy 241 and on WB I-94 between Hwy 241 and Wright Co. Rd. 37
- Construct new EB access to I-94 between Wright Co. Rd. 19 and Wright Co. Rd. 37
- Add raised concrete median barrier
- Build stormwater basins to improve drainage
Monticello to Clearwater (2019-2021)
- Reconstruct 14 miles of freeway between Hwy 25 and Hwy 24
- Add lane in both directions
- Add raised concrete median barrier between Hwy 25 and Wright Co. Rd. 8
- Add cable median barrier between Hasty and Clearwater
- Build noisewall along north side of WB I-94, west of Hwy 25
- Add commercial vehicle weigh-in motion sensors into the new pavement
- Improve drainage, including new water retention ponds